Making a Difference Together
Grantmaking Services for Private Foundations
Changing the lives of people and communities in the Greater Cincinnati region through philanthropy is a goal GCF shares with many private and family foundations. We know that, while it is rewarding, the grantmaking process of your foundation can also be challenging and time-consuming.
Grantmaking Support for You
To enhance and facilitate community giving, GCF offers grantmaking services for private and family foundations. By combining our grantmaking expertise with our knowledge of the community and its nonprofit organizations, we can provide meaningful assistance throughout the process. Our support can allow private funders to focus on achieving their charitable goals and improving our communities.
Strategic Planning and Process
GCF can consult with you to develop grantmaking strategies and streamline the process. Services include:
- Identifying your foundation’s priorities and assisting in developing grant guidelines that are consistent with those priorities.
- Evaluating grant proposals to assure alignment with your priorities and guidelines.
- Processing grant requests, including a substantive review and summary report on proposal quality. Assessments are made of the organization’s financial condition, strength of staff leadership and board, and program effectiveness. Site visits are often made and can include private foundation board members.
Administrative Support and Guidance
GCF can also provide the resources to manage and implement your grant program. Services include:
- Conducting due diligence on grant applications.
- Monitoring and evaluating grant recipients.
- Facilitating private foundation board meetings.
- Following grant decisions made by trustees, sending out notification letters, writing checks and reporting on the status of grants.
- Providing input on community needs and conditions.
Though GCF becomes involved, the investment management, tax return preparation and record keeping for your private foundation continue as they are currently. Your foundation maintains its independent tax-exempt status, name, and your trustees retain grantmaking authority.
GCF approaches relationships with private foundations as partnerships. We believe that both of our organizations are in the business of giving – to support the charitable activities of generous philanthropists that will make a profound difference in the quality of life in our community.
Learn more about GCF's current grantmaking partnerships.